Virtual meeting (webinar)
Two days (3-3 hours)
Language: English-Russian interpretation
Raise awareness on the potential impact of emerging biotechnologies and genetically modified organisms in the region and the need for an adequate policy framework with a specific focus on genetically modified seeds.
● Increase awareness of the potential impacts of emerging biotechnologies and genetically modified seeds and
● Knowledge sharing among participants on the topic
● Increase understanding on how countries are implementing policy framework
● Policy makers from ECA region
● Academia and researchers
● FAO staff
THE MAIN AREAS OF DISCUSSION WILL BE:
● Regulation of biotechnologies world wide
● Definition of gm seeds and GMO in general in different countries, legislative framework.
● Cartagena protocol and how it works at different levels.
● Risks of GM plant varieties and related research
● Regulation of GMO seeds and other relevant biotechnologies
● Knowledge and experience sharing on existing systems
● GM regulations from different regions