Land and Water Technical Webinar: Adaptation Fund - Nature & Agriculture: Pathways to Finance and Scale Nature-Based Solutions
Nature plays a key role in addressing adaptation challenges. Nature-Based Solutions (NbS) in conservation agriculture can provide healthy ecosystems that yield multiple benefits. FAO and The Nature Conservancy (TNC) are moving beyond research to address the potential for higher rate of adoption of agriculture- and nature-based solutions (Ag-NbS) through the development of financing at scale, from source water protection to soil health, carbon mitigation, water quality improvement, wetland protections, and fisheries and biodiversity benefits.
Ag-NbS are core to providing win-win scenarios that not only enable sustainable agriculture production systems but also address the Global Green Deal. Improved resource efficiency and resilience are show-cased in this webinar combined with food security and rural livelihoods support while addressing net-zero environmental impacts and climate change mitigation and adaptation. A series of guides to assist countries in capturing Ag-NbS for adaptation to climate change and conservation of land, water, and biodiversity, and to allow for cumulative assessment of benefits, valuation and policy priorities to unlock investment, will be shared through findings from the joint FAO-TNC project, and opportunities for developing investable Ag-NbS projects for sustainable agriculture will be discussed.
- Introduction and moderation: Ms Sasha Koo-Oshima, Deputy Director, Land and Water Division, FAO
- TNC Introduction: Ms Andrea Erickson, Managing Director, Water Security, TNC
- Mr Tom Iseman, Director of Water Scarcity and Markets Strategy, TNC
- Dr. Eric Hallstein, Deputy Managing Director of the NatureVest unit, TNC
- Q&A, Moderator: Mr Maher Salman, Senior Land and Water Officer, FAO
- Closing remarks: Vimlendra Sharan, Director, FAO Liaison Office for North America, FAO